Saturday 12 January 2013

Misconceptions new lolitas have about lolita

So this is just a basic list of some of the misconceptions I had about lolita when I began the rocky course of the frill-ified rorita...

1) Lolitas must be thin
Perfect example of why #1 is wrong!
Lolita isn't about being thin, and I don't know why I had this notion of "lolitas are all super skinny". I'm  not skinny, and felt so out-of-place, but I realized that lolita is like any other fashion! There's always something to fit your body shape and nobody will look down on you if you don't have your ribcage on show - lolita isn't about being stick-thin.

I think this misconception started, probably because this style started in Japan and in Japan, a lot of girls there are skinny due to their amazing daily-lives and diets. This notion is just way too old to be in lolita any more!

2) Lolita is always expensive

Yay Bodyline!
I don't know about you guys, but when I started with the frills, I thought "damn, I need to start saving money"! Well, lolita is expensive, and that's a sad truth but it isn't always expensive. Bodyline is just as good as any other brand and yet it's a lot cheaper - why do all you little lolitas think that this fashion is only for upper-class girls? You can just as easily look fab without dishing out over £500 on one. Single. Dress. I've even made a total outfit out of just £50 - it's that simple, and can be really inexpensive if you play your cards right.

For example, if you need that new AP dress but you need it without breaking the bank, wait for it to become second-hand on EGL - not only do you get a major chunk of the price off, but it's usually good as new.

I think this theory came about as many new lolitas started looking at cosplay and then stumbled onto brand sites and thought "oh, this is how much all lolita costs" without investigating.

3) Lolitas are mainly snobs - it's in the elitist nature.

I honestly thought, every lolita was stuck-up and elite. And that if I didn't wear brand, I'd be thrown to the side like trash. But that's what most lolitas come to learn if they stalk Lolita_Secrets too much, and to be fair, it's as far from the truth as you can get! If you're in it for the fashion, for fun, or life, then generally most people won't be mean toward you - why anyone thinks that lolitas are snobs is actually beyond me, now.

Lolitas aren't snobs, so if you think they are, get that notion out of your head!

No comments:

Post a Comment